The Management Science programs at the Stuart School of Business in Chicago prepare graduates to identify pressing issues facing the business community, structure problems and gather data, and present strategic, impactful solutions. Stuart’s emphasis on quantitative methods, analytical tools, and computer models helps students master a data-intensive approach to management science in the fields of business, finance, and management.
At the M.S. level, students will gain the skills and knowledge needed for mid-level careers as business analysts, data managers, and directors. At the Ph.D. level, student have the opportunity to work closely with expert faculty across all programs on cutting edge research, to prepare for careers in both industry and academia. Both programs can be completed full-time or part-time. In fact, Stuart’s Ph.D. is the only post-graduate business program in the Chicago area that is offered on a part-time basis.
M.S. Program Snapshot
6 core courses
5 elective/concentration courses
33 total credit hours
No thesis required
Degree typically takes 2 years of full-time study or 4-5 years of part-time study
View available courses and course descriptions.
M.S. Application Notes
Given the prescribed sequence of required M.S. and Ph.D. program courses in the first year of study, new students are only admitted in the fall semester of each year. Management Science applicants are not eligible for GRE/GMAT waivers.
M.S. applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree, and Ph.D. applicants typically have completed a master's degree and the business core at either the graduate or undergraduate level. M.S. students may apply for the Ph.D. program during the course of their studies. If admitted, the core courses in Management Science that have been completed will be applied toward the Ph.D. program.
Ph.D. Admission Requirements
A competitive score on GMAT or GRE (316 or above for GRE and 650 or above for GMAT) is required for admission. There are four study tracks available for the Ph.D. program:
- M-track (for students with a Master’s degree before admission to PhD program) with Finance Concentration: 60 credits
- M-track (for students with a Master’s degree before admission to PhD program) with Analytics Concentration: 60 credits
- UG-track (for students with an undergraduate degree before admission to PhD program) with Finance Concentration: 78 credits
- UG-track (for students with an undergraduate degree before admission to PhD program) with Analytics Concentration: 78 credits
Ph.D. Graduation Requirements
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 in an approved program of study
- Qualifying exam upon completion of six core courses
- Comprehensive exam upon completion of six advanced core and advanced elective courses
- Submission of dissertation
- Oral defense of dissertation